Personalized Coffee Cozy Tutorial

Coffee cozies are not only eco-friendly, they can be fun!  This one is reversible and I personalized it with my email address and portfolio website.  I used it as a leave-behind during a portfolio review day.  But, the possibilities are endless....kid's artwork, photos, various fabrics, positive sayings, etc. :)

Supplies:  Paper, pencil, scissors, cardboard cozy from your local coffee shop, white 100% cotton fabric or any light colored fabric, patterned fabric, thin fusible batting (I used Pellon), iron-on transfer paper, velcro, an iron and sewing machine.  I purchased my transfer paper at Hobby Lobby and used my 40% off coupon.  Yahoo! Also, there are some tutorials on the web for running fabric thru your printer but my printer seemed to repel everything I put thru it except  these transfer papers.  Plus, I liked the sheen it gave my finished product.
First, make your pattern.  I made one pattern.  Just remember to flip your pattern for the front (personalized) and then for the back (patterned fabric.)  I added a 5/8" around the original for the pattern and used a 1/4" seam allowance when sewing.  I changed the angle of the end of the cozy.  I purchased inexpensive fabric for practice.  The transfer paper is a little pricey so I wanted to get the right shape before cutting.
You can make anything for your transfer.  If you use type, make sure you flip it in your program before printing onto your transfer paper or it will be backward when you iron it to your fabric.  After creating your personalized fabric, adhere your batting to the back of your patterned fabric, cut your pieces and sew your pieces, right sides together, leaving about 2" along the bottom for turning. 
Turn it right side out, press, then top stitch around all edges.  This will enclose the gap and give it a finished look.  I used my paper cup from the coffee shop to decide the placement for the velcro. Sew on the velcro.
For this design, I wanted something a little extra.  I transferred another design onto these small, canvas pennant tags from Maya Road.  I spray painted some safety pins black and attached it to the cozy.
Voila!
I wanted more photos, but the these were already made and my sewing machine is in the shop.  :(  If you have any questions, just send me a note at heartworkbylaura@gmail.com.

Comments

Popular Posts